Session Description: Dealing with birth family can be confusing and chaotic. These relationships often require special attention. Through role-playing scenarios and rich group discussion, one can begin to formulate strategies for building safe and healthy relationships with family members.
Upon completion of this workshop participants will be able to:
- Understand how to use your own lived experience to brainstorm solutions for difficult family situations (Story of Self / Personal Narrative)
- Understand that setting boundaries does not always mean disconnecting from loved ones - and might even help maintain connections (Attachment & Connectedness)
Identify challenges that could be encountered with family members, and pre-plan responses (Self Regulation)
- 5m / Introduction & Overview
- 5m / Real Story
- 10m / Discussion: In the Mix
- 35m / Activity: Scene It
- 5m / Wrap-up
Slides: Included (optional - not required for presentation)
Reproducible handouts included:
- Family Matters Scenarios
- Family Matters Young Leader Quotes
For more information about SPARK curriculum and the evidence behind it, visit www.fosterclub.org/SPARK
Download of this Curriculum provides a license for ONE TRAINER to deliver the training an unlimited amount of times to young people in foster care. See our License Agreement for details.